Thursday, February 9, 2012

Sculpture - Abakanowicz

I am a big fan of sculpture and I have been paying more attention to names of Artists that stand out to me when I see a work.  I will start with my second real impression of sculpture ( the first was Louise Bourgeois, but I don't have to get into her since she is very well known), this  is Magdalena Abakanowicz. She was a victim of the WW2 era, being from Poland and Jewish, she went through a fearful and chaotic childhood filled with uncertainties and trauma...I fell in love with her sculpture called" Backs". I first saw them 2 years ago at the Margulies Collection in Wynwood and was taken aback ( no pun intended) by the simplicity of the hunched over  burlap statues,  filling a room  with their obvious vulnerable pose. They were almost alive.  In another  room she filled  it with what looked like an "army of  headless people, also, made from Burlap. Different heights, ages, genders, etc... all looking like victims of some sort of  chaos. This piece was called "Hurma" and it was their frontal view. You have to look her up for more information, I am no expert however just wanting to share what I see  and inspires me. Something about her pieces remind me of the reality and sadness of  humanity. How loud is the presence of  this "army" and yet they remain quiet. Very accurate in her execution highlighting a society victimized by a manipulative, fascist government.



Thanks for reading ;)
Soir

No comments:

Post a Comment